Flavour of the week: Salted caramel, let’s pretend it is one flavour because it really is divine.
This week has been one of those weeks and it all came to a head yesterday when after gradually feeling worse every day this week I got home from work in dire need of medicinal pancakes, dessert for dinner. And they needed to be covered in chocolate. Luckily I had some buttermilk in the fridge so I used that in this recipe to make the pancakes. I always have a plate in the oven (with it on low) to stack the pancakes up whilst I cook them because I can’t stand luke warm or cold pancakes. As much as I would love to coat each one in pure melted chocolate I couldn’t quite bring myself to eat 200g of chocolate and 4 big thick pancakes all by myself. Instead I made a chocolate sauce using my favourite chocolate bar ‘Lindt – Caramel with a touch of salt’ and a dollop of creme fraiche.
Chocolate topping recipe:
(To top about 4 pancakes that are about 6 inches across)
- Approx 50g of your favourite chocolate (I used 4 squares of Lindt – Caramel with a touch of salt)
- Heaped tablespoon of creme fraiche (I used low fat creme fraiche, I am sure it made all the difference in the calorie department. Ha!)
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave (or any way you like).
- Stir in the the creme fraiche.
- Top each pancake with a heaped teaspoon, spread and add the next pancake.
- STACK ‘EM UP.
- Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts (optional).