Flavour of the week: Rosemary, possibly my third favourite herb and a must on roast potatoes in my opinion and always paired with lemon, they make for such a great couple.
Still Reading: Black Like Me – John Howard Griffin, I’m not even a quarter of the way in and completely hooked. This is compulsory reading in schools in America and is an incredibly brave task to have undertaken.
To the task at hand, the tray bake; it is the ultimate lazy Sunday roast, you put it all in at the same time in the same dish for an hour and check on it once or twice. If you’re out for the day prepare it in the morning or the night before and just pop it in the oven when you get home and a tasty roast will be on your dinner table an hour later.
Ingredients for chicken & marinade:
- 8 chicken thighs (preferably with skin and bone but works without too)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- The leaves of one sprig of rosemary
At least one hour before, or preferably overnight, marinade the chicken thighs in the ingredients above.
The rest of the ingredients:
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 large leeks, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, into roast potato size with skin on (unless you’d rather off)
- 6-8 garlic cloves left whole but crushed
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 3-4 sprigs of rosemary, I like to remove the leaves of two to sprinkle over but if you prefer not to eat the leaves then leave them on the stalk
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (if fan assisted, if not then 170°C)
- Put the olive oil, rosemary and garlic in the bottom of a large tray.
- Add the chopped vegetable and potatoes and coat in the lemon juice and soy sauce.
- Add the chicken thighs and using a large spoon ensure everything is well covered and put the tray in the oven for about an hour. After about 30 minutes give the tray a shake and rotate it. Keep an eye on it from around 45 minutes, depending on your oven, and make sure the chicken is completely cooked.