Flavour of the moment: Tomato, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I’ve wanted to make tomato soup for some time but tomatoes weren’t in season when I wanted to try and I feared a flavourless watery soup if I ever attempted it. Then I saw a recipe on ‘In Jennie’s Kitchen’ that used tinned tomatoes and roasted them for an hour. I was sold.
The roasting of the tomatoes in this recipe really gives this soup an exquisitely rich flavour and is definitely one worth remembering for a rainy day when you’ve only a couple of tins of tomatoes and some cream that needs using up, which is fairly regularly in this household.
Ingredients: (Makes 4 small servings, i.e. have with bread)
- Two 400g tins of whole tomatoes (saving the juice)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 0.25 cup of cream
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Remove the tomatoes from their juice (save the juice!) and cut them in half. Place them on tin foil (insides up), on a baking tray, and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with brown sugar and season with salt and pepper. Roast for an hour.
- Let them cool for a few minutes.
- Put the tomatoes in a blender with the juice and stock and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a pan and heat, but don’t boil.
- Stir in the cream and serve.