I have to admit, I was a bit dubious when I saw this recipe that a cake that had no flour, sugar or butter could be a delicious and satisfying cupcake. My worries were however, ill-placed; these were ridiculously yummy and the cake was light and moist. Paleo or not, these babies were scrumptious! Plus, I have a thing about vegetables being in cakes. To be honest, I just have a thing about vegetables in general.
- 1 cup of nut butter (I used a mix of 1/3 almond, 2/3 hazelnut. Don’t use peanut if keeping paleo, as peanuts are legumes, not nuts.)
- 2 eggs
- 0.25 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of coconut flour
- 1-2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 0.5 tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup of grated courgette (zucchini)
- Dark chocolate chopped into small pieces (if you are very strictly paleo, omit this)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a (12) muffin tin with cases.
- In a large bowl whisk together the nut butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt.
- Once well combined, add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, vinegar and baking soda, whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the courgette.
- Divide between the 12 cases and top with chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a rack. These are delicious warm but should be left to cool for a little while at least.
- Enjoy and attempt to not eat them all in one sitting. Tell the friends you’ve got coming over later that you’ve made them, then you have to save at least some of them.