Here in the UK, the sun has made an appearance and temperatures have risen above 20°C, signaling the arrival of summer. Not quite the 45°C summers of my youth but I’ll take all the sunshine I can get. I saw a recipe for Lemon, ginger and basil iced tea on Paleo Grubs and decided to recreate it. I’ve changed the name to cooler because there isn’t really any tea in it, and cooler seemed more appropriate in the heady UK heat!
I added mint and coriander to the mix too but these are optional, play around with any flavours that take your fancy!
- 2 lemons
- 5 ginger coins (slices of ginger)
- A good handful of basil leaves (and/or mint, coriander)
- 3 tbsp of honey
- Boiling water, enough to fill a large jug
- Juice the lemons into the jug and remove the pips.
- Add the lemons, ginger, basil and honey to the jug (and any other herbs you fancy).
- Fill the jug with boiling water and stir.
- Leave the jug to cool to room temperature and infuse.
- Strain the contents of the jug into another jug and refrigerate.
- Serve cold, as it is or with crushed strawberries.