I bought a jar of sun-dried tomatoes some time ago, they were on offer and I knew I’d find a use from them some day. I didn’t just want to squander them though, I wanted them to go in a dish where they’d make all the difference and take centre stage. I saw a recipe on Paleo Leap for Tuscan Chicken Skillet, which called for sun-dried tomatoes. I could see how in this dish, the sun-dried tomatoes were the star player and the game changer, and so it was decided; the sun-dried tomatoes’ moment had arrived. I changed the recipe up a bit but the idea is much the same; chicken in a deliciously rich, Tuscan tasting sauce. I’m already planning to make it again next week, delicious!
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 2 chicken breasts, either chopped or cut into smaller breast fillets
- 2 large mushrooms
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 0.5 tsp of thyme
- Approx 0.5 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, I used about 8 large sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tin of whole tomatoes
- Place 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet or large heavy-bottomed pan and heat on a medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the other 1 tbsp of olive to the pan and then cook the mushrooms and peppers for a few minutes, until they begin to brown. Set these aside with the chicken.
- Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, thyme, oregano and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and any a tbsp or two of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes (optional), allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms and peppers back into the pan and cook until the chicken is completely cooked through (5-10 minutes).
- Season to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!