I have to say, I’ve always been a honey mustard chicken fan. My uni cafe used to do a great honey mustard chicken panini in my first year but then they changed the menu, it was a sad day. It isn’t a dish I’ve ever really tried to make before and I’m not really sure why. However, rest assured I will be making this again, and again, after having it for dinner last night. I was very pleasantly surprised by just how tasty it was; it is one of my favourite home cooked dinners that I’ve had recently. I paired it with mustard mash and corn on the cob, it was a real comfort food night. The best part is that it is super easy to make. It is easiest made in a skillet or oven proof heavy bottomed pan. If you don’t have one then just begin the process in a frying pan and transfer the contents to an oven proof dish, e.g. a casserole dish, for the oven part of proceedings. I found the recipe via Pinterest.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 4 chicken thighs, with or without skin and bone – the choice is yours
- For the rub:
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper, to season
- For the sauce:
- 4 tbsp of whole grain mustard
- 3 tbsp of honey
- 2-4 tbsp of chicken stock, to taste
- 1 tbsp of olive oil (for frying)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and heat a skillet on the hob with the olive oil in it.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the rub.
- Brush the mixture onto one side of the chicken thighs and then place them rub side down in the hot skillet.
- Whilst the thighs are cooking, brush the now-tops of the thighs with the remaining rub.
- After a couple of minutes on the first side (they should be lightly golden), turn the thighs over to brown on the second side.
- Whilst the thighs are cooking (or before proceedings start, if you like to be organised), mix the mustard, honey and chicken stock together in a small bowl.
- Pour the honey mustard mixture over the thighs, add the rosemary and then place the skillet into the oven to cook for 25-30 minutes. This leaves you time to prepare the rest of your meal. I love it when a plan comes together.
2 thoughts on “Honey Mustard Chicken”
YUMMMMM! Looks good!
Thank you 🙂