It is Autumn and that means it is squash season. There are gourds a-plenty and aren’t they just beautiful?! I saw this recipe first on A Beautiful Mess and decided to make it soon, then I saw it on Hello, Scarlett and knew I had to make it that week. I’m a HUGE macaroni cheese fan and love how this is a slightly healthier kind of macaroni cheese. It is still cheesy and delicious but has one of your 5 a day in it too. I made the sauce for 4 people but enough pasta just for 2, so it was very saucy; there’s definitely enough sauce to serve 4 in this recipe though.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Pasta to serve 4
- ~450 g of butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 5 sage leaves
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 0.5 cup of Parmesan cheese
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Boil the squash for 15-20 minutes until very soft.
- Drain the squash and blitz in a blender until it forms a purée.
- Cook the pasta, as the instructions state.
- Place the squash purée into a pan with the butter, cream and sage leaves. Season and stir well.
- Bring to a slow boil for a few minutes and then stir in the egg yolk.
- After a couple of minutes, stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Remove the sage leaves.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, stir until the pasta is evenly coated and then serve, topped with some more Parmesan (you can never have too much).