Broccoli is my man’s favourite vegetable, pasta is my ultimate comfort food. I try as much as possible to avoid eating grains but sometimes pasta is a must (or porridge, especially in these wintery months, I’m having severe banana porridge cravings), I stick to gluten free pasta though, so I don’t feel so rubbish afterwards. I saw this recipe on A Beautiful Mess a few weeks ago and figured it would fulfil his love of broccoli with my love of carbs and cheese (and basil). It looks a little off putting, and a bit green but could be a great way to get kids to eat some vegetables if you blend if up really well. Flavour wise, it isn’t Earth shattering (James added chilli flakes to his) but I liked that about it; I needed something comforting, creamy, tasty but simple and it was all of those things. It would be really easy to add to the flavours however you fancied, for me though, basil is all I need.
In our house, Monday has more often than not become an unofficial pasta night. It shouldn’t because it is so easy to overdose on calories (I have to smother pasta in cheese) but on a Monday I’m usually shattered after a busy weekend and longing for the next weekend which is too far away; pasta is a great big hug in a bowl. In fact, it is pasta tonight too (this was last Monday’s). Life has been hectic, I don’t get enough time to blog anywhere near as much as I’d like and my photos are no where near as pretty as I’d want; my new years resolution will be to rectify these things.
Christmas is on its way (my other half’s birthday is first though, queue coronary inducing cake recipe involving Oreos) with all its incredible food and I will be making the most of that on here, that’s for certain. We decorated 3 Christmas cakes this weekend and have another 3 to do (not all for us of course), I’ll be posting a step by step for that soon(ish), so hold tight. This weekend is my mum’s wedding, so cakes and blogging will of course be on hold, whilst I don fake tan, get my nails ‘did’ and wear a dress I’ll undoubtedly trip up on. I can’t wait for the whole affair with its long lost friendly faces from all over the globe and far too much delicious food.
For now though, pasta:
Ingredients: (Serves 2-3)
- 1 head of broccoli, florets only
- Pasta to serve 2-3 (i.e. use more if there is 3 of you, the sauce is flexible, just add some water/cream if you need more of it)
- A handful of basil leaves
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 0.5 cup of heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 0.5 cup of grated Parmesan (plus extra to serve)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 breast of chicken, chopped, optional (I added chicken to this but it certainly didn’t need it)
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water, until bright green and slightly softened.
- Drain the broccoli and pour into a food processor (or blender) with the basil and garlic. Blitz until smooth.
- Cook the pasta, according to instructions.
- If using, cook your chicken, I lightly fried mine.
- In a large sauce pan, mix the broccoli mixture with the cream, egg yolks, Parmesan and seasoning, over a medium heat.
- Once the cheese begins to melt, add your drained and cooked pasta to the sauce and stir. Add the chicken, if using, and stir.
- Serve and top with more Parmesan, optional.