I made this granola on Christmas Eve, as a treat and we’ve been having it at weekends, on stewed apples, ever since. It is a recipe courtesy of Gingerbread Jenn, if anyone knows how to make gingerbread granola, it will be her (the clue is in the name). This was decadent, delicious granola with a combination of so many things that I love, hazelnuts, dried cranberries, cinnamon, ginger, dark chocolate and honey. It is just incredible.
It was too delicious to wait to get a beautiful photograph of but it is shown in the picture above on top of some cinnamon and ginger stewed apples and blueberries; a pretty perfect combination.
Ingredients: (Feel free to substitute the dried fruits/nuts/syrups for your favourites)
- 3 & 1/4 cups of oats
- 0.25 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of ground ginger
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp of chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 tbsp of honey/maple syrup
- 0.25 cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of treacle/molasses
- 2 tbsp of golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line one large or two smaller baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, salt, spices, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate and crystallized ginger.
- In a saucepan, combine the syrups and oil and heat gently until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl and stir until everything is well coated.
- Pour the contents out onto the baking tray (or divide between the two) and place them in the oven, for 20 minutes.
- Stir well after ten minutes and make sure you keep your eye on it.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely (if you can!).
- Break up any lumps and store in an airtight container.