I’ve been looking for some new breakfasts to add to our list of regulars but wanted something a little healthier. It also happened that we had somehow become inundated with apples, due to some poorly planned shopping. I spotted this recipe on Deliciously Ella some time ago, and it is also on her fantastic app. She has a cook book coming out imminently which I’ve pre-ordered and can’t wait to get my hands on; Deliciously Ella is my go to healthy recipe blog, she has some incredible recipes.
We’ve been eating this with (much less healthy) gingerbread granola but you can have it with any granola you like or just on its own. It is deceptively filling! This recipe has cinnamon, fresh ginger and coconut milk in it too, it is a keeper.
Ingredients: (Serves 1 but easily scales up)
- 2 red apples (or any apples you’ve got)
- A handful of blueberries (I like to buy them frozen because they are cheaper, just as nutritious and always on hand)
- ~0.5 inch of grated fresh ginger, I like to keep my ginger in the freezer and grate it from frozen using my microplane zester
- A heaped tsp of date syrup/honey/maple syrup
- A heaped tsp of cinnamon
- 0.5 can of coconut milk
- Granola, optional
- Peel, core and dice the apples and place them in a saucepan with the blueberries, ginger, syrup, cinnamon and coconut milk.
- Cook the mixture on a medium heat until it begins to boil, reduce the heat if needs be but keep it simmering for about 20 minutes until the apples are soft and some of the liquid has been absorbed. Add more coconut milk or water if needs be.
- Serve the beautifully purple lot topped with granola.