It is official, Harry Eastwood is a witch. The best kind of witch, the kind that can make light, fluffy and delicious cupcakes without butter or flour and with butternut squash. Yes, butternut squash! ‘Ahh’, you say, ‘she hasn’t been putting cordial in her cakes’. No, I have not, I have been putting vegetables in my cake, because quite frankly, it is what I love to do. When it comes to vegetable based cakes, Harry Eastwood knows all. I really think it is for the best if you go and buy her cook book, immediately.
Blood oranges are in season (hallelujah), so I used blood oranges for this recipe. I’m sure any oranges will do but the juicing kind are your best bet, or blood oranges of course. I’m going to say blood oranges one more time. Blood oranges.
I’ve made these to take to dinner at a friend’s tonight, I hope they enjoy them as much as I did! I made a baker’s dozen though, so that I could taste test one. Oh my, divine. Go on, make them.
- 2 medium eggs
- 160 g of caster sugar
- 200 g of peeled and grated butternut squash
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 100 g of white rice flour
- 100 g of ground almonds
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 0.25 tsp of salt
- 75 g of unsalted butter
- 200 g of icing sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Extra zest to top the cupcakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl, until pale and fluffy. This will take a few minutes.
- Whisk in the orange zest and grated butternut squash.
- Whisk in the rice flour, ground almonds, baking powder, salt and orange juice and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between the 12 cases and bake for 20 minutes they are until cooked all the way through and are a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and place to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, make the icing.
- Cream the butter until fluffy and then mix in half of the icing sugar.
- Add in the orange zest, juice and remaining icing sugar and keep mixing until well combined.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, ice and top with zest (if desired).
- Serve and prepare to be amazed!