There are days when you need comfort food and there are few things as comforting as Cajun fried chicken, peppers, mushrooms, onions and pasta in a delicious creamy sauce. I cannot explain what a magical combination this is. It isn’t low calorie or particularly nutritious (veggies though!) but sometimes you don’t care about that and you want creamy pasta and fried chicken. This is for those days. Whilst not looking spectacular, trust me on this and just make it. Ok? Ok, good.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp of Cajun seasoning
- 0.25 cup of plain (gluten free) flour
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 peppers, chopped
- A handful or two of button mushrooms whole (or chopped bigger mushrooms)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (depending on how much you love garlic)
- ~175 ml of chicken stock (or any meat stock you may have, vegetable will work fine if not)
- ~75 ml of single cream
- 100-200 g of (gluten free if required) pasta (dried weight), depending on how much pasta you’d like in the dish, we went for the lower end of the scale and it was plenty
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Coat your chicken in Cajun seasoning and then coat in flour.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan and once hot, fry the chicken. Leave them for a few minutes until they crisp up on one side and then turn them over. Once cooked through, set them aside in a bowl.
- Put your pasta on to cook.
- Put your pan back on a medium heat and add the butter and garlic. Once it becomes fragrant, add the peppers, onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or so until they soften.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and pour in the stock, turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Bring the stock to the boil and let the vegetables cook for another 5 minutes or so. Once your pasta is cooked, drain it and add it into the pan with the vegetables and stock. Keep stirring.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cream, followed by the chicken. Add your pasta at this point, if you haven’t already done so.
- Serve and enjoy this blissful, comforting meal.