I’ve been looking for new, healthy lunches to take to work. Something that isn’t too time/effort consuming to make but that is nutritious. I turned to Deliciously Ella‘s cookbook and spotted this salad made with black rice and pine nuts; I was sold. Black rice most definitely isn’t photogenic but when paired with some steamed veg it makes for a tasty lunch. I changed quantities and ratios in the recipe to my tastes but the basic ingredients are the same.
Ingredients: (Makes 3-5 portions)
- 1.25 cups of black rice
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp of tamari (gluten free soy sauce) /light soy sauce
- 150 g of sultanas/raisins, soaked in boiling water
- 75 g of pine nuts
- 1 tbsp of tahini
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Put the rice in a large saucepan and cover it with boiling water. Once the water is boiling add the tamari and garlic. Allow the pan to simmer for 45 minutes, adding water when required to ensure it doesn’t go dry.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, toast the pine nuts in a frying pan until they begin to turn golden then instantly remove from the heat and set them aside in a bowl.
- Once the rice has absorbed all the water, drain the raisins and stir them in; follow with the pine nuts, tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Whilst stirring in the ingredients the garlic will break up and become part of the ‘dressing’.
- Serve with steamed vegetables, salad or as it is and enjoy!