I’m not going to lie, by the time it gets to Friday I am exhausted. I want to curl up on the sofa with James and nod off in front of the TV or a book; if I am awake past 10:30 pm I am impressed. I imagine the getting up at 6:15 am and 3 hours of commuting every day is what probably does it. Friday night dinners therefore need to be comforting, filling (so that hunger isn’t likely to wake me up early in the morning) and a tiny bit naughty, a treat for making it through the week and all its obligations.
This past Friday I decided to make this and I am so glad we have leftovers for another night because it performed all its tasks admirably, it tasted delicious and far more indulgent that it was. This is evident by the poor quality of photos because I just wanted to get that pie in my face!
- 3 medium – large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large chicken breast (~250 g), diced
- 8 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 – 4 leeks, chopped
- 150 ml of white wine
- 100 ml of stock (or more wine)
- 4 tbsp of single cream, plus extra for the mashed potato
- 1 heaped tsp of cornflour
- Salt and pepper, to season
- A little oil to fry the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, ~15 mins.
- Whilst the potatoes a cooking, heat the oil is a large saucepan and cook the chicken, garlic and bacon until the outside of the chicken is cooked.
- Add the leeks and cook until the chicken just begins to brown.
- Add the wine and stock to the pan and season.
- Bring the liquid in the pan to the boil and then reduce the heat.
- Stir in the cream.
- Stir in the cornflour, leave to simmer whilst mashing the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and then stir in a little cream until you have a spreadable consistency of mashed potato.
- Transfer the ingredients of the saucepan into an ovenproof casserole dish and then top with mashed potato.
- Bake in the oven until the potato begins to brown, ~25 mins.
- Whilst the pie is in the oven, cook any vegetables or sides you want to go with it.
- Remove from the oven and serve!