I’ve been on the search for new lunches, healthy but filling and tasty. Rice salads have been ticking those boxes recently. I’ve also had a real thing for feta, ever since eating an absolutely divine spinach, feta and pine nut pie several weeks ago. I spotted this recipe online but decided to add a tin of sweetcorn and a bag of spinach into the mix. I loved that besides the cooking of the rice this can all be made in a couple of minutes, making week day lunch meal prep much easier to fit into a weekend. The recipe serves 4 but I stretched it to 5, so I had a lunch for every day of the working week. It was delicious hot or cold; on colder days I microwaved it for a couple of minutes, the melted feta was divine.
I’m also a huge fan of dried cranberries so this recipe was definitely a winner in my eyes.
- 250 g of basmati and wild rice
- 400 g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 325 g tin of sweetcorn, drained
- 100 g of dried cranberries
- 1 red onion, dliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice/juice of one lemon
- 200 g of feta, diced
- 200 g of spinach
- Rinse the rice and then cook as per instructions on the packet (usually boil for 15-20 minutes).
- Add the chickpeas for the last few minutes of the rice cooking.
- Drain the rice and chickpeas and then rinse with cold water until cooler.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the cranberries, red onion, sweetcorn and spinach into the rice and chickpeas.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the rice and stir.
- Stir in the feta.
- Divide into portions and serve.