It seems an untimely month to be sharing a salad recipe, it is also odd because I share very few of them but I am in LOVE with this salad and I just HAD to share it. I say this whilst eating poached pears and ice cream (a much more season appropriate dish) but everything in moderation right?
A very thoughtful friend bought me the Mason jar salads cook book and five jars for my birthday, after I complained I was running low on week day lunch inspiration (amazing right?!); when I spotted this I knew I had to make it immediately (a restaurant called Vapianos makes an incredible goats cheese, strawberry and spinach salad and the opportunity to recreate it could not be passed up. These made a great addition to my lunches last week, I was so excited for lunch everyday.
- 100 g of strawberries, sliced
- 3 handfuls of spinach leaves
- 30 g of goats cheese, chopped or crumbled (depending on the type of goats cheese)
- 1-3 tbsp of Balsamic Vinaigrette (see below)
- 1 large jar
- A small handful of pine nuts or chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp of honey
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix together the vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and then gradually add the oil, mixing until the dressing thickens.
- In the order of strawberries, goats cheese, nuts and spinach, layer the ingredients into the jar by placing approximately a third of each (or less if you’d like more than 3 layers) into the jar at a time.
- Place parchment or cling film over the top of the jar and then close the lid over it and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it.
- Add the dressing and enjoy!