Since I made these last week, I am unashamed to say that I have had them almost every night since. We’ve both had a cold this week and these poached pears with ice cream have healing powers, I am sure of it.
I’ve been on a cooked pear frenzy ever since I had a delicious pear and chocolate pudding a few weeks ago (which I forgot to photograph before my family devoured the entire thing, so I will have to make another one, sigh) and this dish is just the perfect dessert for the changing of the seasons, now that the weather has turned (plus is it is a little less naughty than some).
Ingredients: (to serve 2 but just add more pears and wine to make more portions)
- 2 pears, peeled and halved
- red wine, enough to cover the pears in a small pan
- a cinnamon stick
- 0.25 tsp of vanilla
- 0.25 cup of sugar
- Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan, putting enough wine in to just cover the pears. You can top it up with water if you have a large pan and don’t want to use too much wine.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the pears are soft.
- I like to serve mine with ice cream and save the spiced wine in a jar ready to reuse a couple of times, otherwise it can be a pricey hobby. Serve you pears as they are, with cream, ice cream or anything else you’d like.
- Enjoy those festive flavours and enjoy that ‘Christmas is coming’ feeling.