I know there is nothing Thai about pasta but when I spotted a jar of fresh coriander pesto in the supermarket the other day it brought back so many good food memories (I used to LOVE the stuff as a kid), that I just had to buy it. I was wondering if I could do something slightly different with it than just pasta with pesto, so I decided to create a dish inspired by Thai flavours (pasta inspired with Thai flavours was too wordy a title for this post). The danger of blogging, for me anyway, is a little too much planning what you’ll cook and I miss being able to decide on the day with what’s in the fridge/freezer and create a meal (it isn’t just blogging, a too-long-for-my-liking commute and the expense of shopping daily (as oppposed to weekly) are also factors) but tonight I just winged it, and it was delish! So here is a quick and easy pasta dish with a Thai twist.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- Enough pasta for two people, cooked as per instructions (I usually do 70 g of dried (gluten free) pasta per person, this is a moderate portion)
- One large or two small chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp grated lemon grass
- 1 tsp grated chilli (I keep my ginger, lemon grass and chilli in the freezer which means I always have them fresh and to hand, the chilli and lemon grass are much easier to grate when frozen, I use my trusty microplane)
- One red pepper, diced
- Several handfuls of spinach (feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have, this is a throw it all together kind of meal)
- 2 tbsp of fresh coriander pesto (make your own if you have time, sometimes though, convenience comes first)
- Olive oil
- Place a little oil into a large frying pan (enough oil to lightly fry the chicken) with the grated ginger, chilli and lemon grass.
- Start cooking your pasta if you haven’t already.
- Gently heat the oil in the pan and once hot add the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for a few minutes and then add the peppers.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked, add in the spinach and stir until just wilted.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the frying pan, followed by 2 tbsp of coriander pesto.
- Stir until everything is coated in pesto and keep stirring over a low heat until piping hot.
- Serve and enjoy!