Lunch in the week is always a difficult meal for me to sort out. I usually make a batch of something Sunday night for the week ahead but I like something that I can heat up at work, is healthy, filling and not too time consuming to make. I turned to Gwyneth Paltrow for inspiration and she definitely delivered. This soup is filling, quick, tasty and contains one of my favourite vegetables: Chard! This recipe is from her book ‘It’s All Good’, it is my new favourite lunch for work. I urge you to try it.
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 2 x 400 g tins of cannellini beans (or beans of your choice – the original recipe only used one tin but I wanted it to be a bit more filling)
- 1 large bunch of chard, roughly chopped (the original says discard the stems but they are my favourite bit!)
Method: (Serves 4 -6)
- Place a large saucepan over a medium-high heat and cook the leeks, onions, garlic and bay leaf.
- Add a pinch of salt and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock and beans (drained) and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Remove at least two cups (I opted for almost half the soup) and blend it until smooth in a food processor.
- Return the smooth soup to the pan.
- Stir in the chopped chard and cook until it begins to wilt, just a few minutes.
- Season and serve (or portion for the week ahead).