If you don’t have Jennifer Perillo’s book ‘Homemade with Love’ you should really add in to your collection (Jennie of In Jennie’s Kitchen an incredible food blog and one of my favourite food writers). The prelude to this recipe brought a tear to my eye and I love how emotive food is to her. I made this for dinner when we had a friend round for dinner and it was the perfect Friday night comfort food. Golly I love drop biscuits. This recipe has been on my make soon list for about 2 years, I am so glad to have finally made it and sad that I waited so long.
Ingredients: (Serves 2 -4)
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp of plain flour
- 250 ml of chicken stock
- 125 ml of milk
- 120 g of cubed left over roast chicken (or 2 roasted chicken breasts)
- 60 g of frozen peans
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped (~7 g), I use a quarter of a herb stock pot instead (this is a make it with what you have kind of dinner)
- Salt and pepper
- 145 g of plain flour
- 1.5 tsp of baking powder
- 1/8 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of fine salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 42 g of cold unsalted butter, cut into ~12 pieces
- 155 ml of buttermilk
- In a mixing bowl place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar. Whisk to mix well.
- Rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture of of large-ish crumbs.
- Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just combined, do not over mix. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in an 8 inch cast iron skillet, over a medium heat.
- Add the carrots and cook for a minute or two.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the carrots, cook for a minute.
- Pour in the stock and milk, bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Add the chicken, peas and parsley (I left the peas out of mine because my friend isn’t much of a fan). Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drop blobs of drop biscuit dough over the filling, trying to cover as much of the pie as possible.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 18 minutes, or until the biscuits turn golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy a truly comforting meal.