Flavour of the moment: Basilllllllllllllllll. Oh that herb, it really is the bees knees, and bees have many knees. I have bought my 7 millionth basil plant and maybe, just maybe, this one might not be dead by this time next week.
Currently Reading: Yes, I have finally finished ‘Black Like Me – John Howard Griffin‘ I honestly think everyone should read this book, I am still in shock and feel such sadness that this is recent history. It led me to buy several other books which are classics such as ‘The Invisible Man – Ralph Ellison‘ and ‘To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee‘. However, it makes for harrowing reading and I am taking some light relief by reading ‘Call The Midwife – Jennifer Worth‘, I absolutely adored the TV series that stemmed from these memoirs and I am hooked having only read the introduction.
There are few things that hit the spot like breaded chicken, homemade, unprocessed, crunchy and a quick fix after a long day at work. There is no official recipe for this but a method and ingredients, I never measure things out when making breaded chicken, whether it be a nuggets, goujons or escalope. In true Milanese style I served the chicken with a side of pasta in homemade marinara sauce, a dash of sauce over the chicken and coat the lot in a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Divine.
I found some amazing pasta in Aldi, it is called Armoniche and it is such a superb shape for soaking up sauce. The sauce I made was ‘In Jennie’s Kitchen 20 minute marinara‘ from her book Homemade with Love (which has become my bible) but any tomato based pasta sauce will work fine. I also made some steamed vegetables to add some veggie goodness to the meal, I can’t have a meal without my veggies!
This dish is a great way of using up stale bread. Just cut it up into small chunks and put it on a baking tray in the oven on a low-medium heat for an hour or so to dry out, then blitz in the blender and voila, homemade breadcrumbs.
To make breaded chicken:
- One chicken breast per adult (and half per child) cut as desired, filleted, cut into goujons or nuggets
- An egg whisked or milk in a shallow bowl
- Flour in a shallow bowl (a couple of tablespoons)
- Breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl
- Oil, heating a frying pan, medium-high heat.
- Once you have prepared your chicken to the desired shape and thickness (between 5-10mm) coat in flour.
- Dip the floured chicken into the egg/milk.
- Dip the chicken into the breadcrumbs and pat them on to ensure the whole surface is covered on both sides.
- Place in the frying pan and cook, flipping over half way, to make sure the chicken is crisp on both sides and cooked all the way through.
To make this dish:
Ingredients: (To serve 2)
- Two breaded chicken breasts
- A cup of marinara sauce
- A few fresh basil leaves
- 2 portions of cooked pasta (we had the pasta as a side so 60g dry pasta each)
- Grated Parmesan
- Use half the marinara sauce to coat the pasta before serving.
- Place the chicken breast next to the pasta and pour sauce over it.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan over the lot and top with fresh basil leaves.