Flavour of the dish: I really think that the smoked paprika in this really brings it together.
This is such a heartwarming dish, ‘to the cockles of my heart’ as my dad would say. It is simple, wholesome, cheesy and James was delighted to find bacon in his dinner. To be honest I was too, it really was just what I needed. I found the recipe on pinterest and we’ve had it a few times now, it is definitely becoming a favourite regular. I used homemade gnocchi, which I highly recommend but shop bought will do the trick if you’re in a rush. I topped mine with some smoked goats cheese too, yummmmmmmmmm!
Ingredients: (Serves 2-3)
- 500g of gnocchi (raw weight), cooked (this can be done whilst the bacon is cooking, just pop the gnocchi in boiling water before you start)
- 250g of smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- A 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato purée
- A handful of cherry tomatoes or a couple of tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 3 tbsp of cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- 100g of mozzarella (or cheeses of your choice) sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the bacon, cook for a few minutes until starting to crisp up. Add the garlic, sugar and paprika and cook for a further minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes (tinned, fresh and purée) and sugar and cook until it begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Drain the gnocchi.
- In an oven proof dish add the gnocchi and sauce, stir to combine and top with the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for around ten minutes until bubbling and the cheese has gone deliciously melty.