I recently became the proud owner of my pops’ slow cooker. It was hidden in the garage until my mum found it, the very same month James and I said we’d actually, really, buy a slow cooker this coming pay day (relationship goals..ha!). Obviously we did not need to buy one due to this good fortune and I’ve been slow cooking up a storm ever since.
My favourite slow cooker moment was 8 km into a 10 km run at about 6:30 pm when I realised how hungry I was, only to remember that dinner was in the slow cooker and ready at 7 pm. Thank goodness for slow cookers. This was the dish that was cooking but prepare for an onslaught of slow cooker recipes.
This recipe came from a lovely (and cheap) little book titled ‘200 Light slow cooker recipes‘. I can only apologise for the shoddy photography lately; I mean, it has never been great but time seems to escape me at the moment and I quickly grab a snap before serving dinner. I also really need some plates that aren’t red.
Ingredients: (Serves 4 at 375 calories per serving)
- 500 g unsmoked gammon joint, trimmed of fat (I actually used a 750 g joint, which increased the calories)
- 625 g of baking potatoes, chopped into ~1 inch chunks
- 200 g of small shallots, peeled (I used 2 white onions, halved)
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 3 celery sticks, thickly sliced (I didn’t use celery as I am not a fan)
- 1 large (or 3 small) leeks, thickly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 200 ml of dry cider
- 200 ml of hot stock (they recommend chicken but I used vegetable)
- 0.25 tsp of cloves
- 1 tsp of mustard powder
- Wash the gammon joint under cold water and place into your slow cooker pot.
- Add the potatoes, shallots, carrots, celery and leeks to the pot.
- Tuck the bay leaves into gaps.
- Place the cider and stock into a saucepan, followed by the cloves and mustard powder. Season with pepper (the gammon is salty enough).
- Stir and bring to the boil and then pour over the gammon.
- Place the lid on your pot and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- Have your day made when you find yourself hungry and realise that dinner is already prepared!