There are few meals more comforting that spaghetti and meatballs; it is filling and delicious and I used my favourite tomato sauce recipe. Even if you just use this recipe for the sauce, please do it. When I first made this sauce it was a life goal achieved; a quick, easy and utterly delicious pasta sauce, made from real and fresh ingredients.
When combined with Parmesan….divine.
Ingredients: (To make meatballs for 2-4)
- 500 g of minced pork (or beef or a mixture of the two)
- A few sprigs of rosemary and thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 small egg or half a large egg, whisked
- Half an onion, chopped
- Olive oil (~3 tbsp, separated)
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 150 g of dried spaghetti (I used gluten free)
- ~750 g of baby plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- A handful of fresh basil
- Freshly grated Parmesan, optional
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and place the tomatoes, sugar and garlic into an oven proof dish. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, until they look like this:
- Place the tomatoes into a blender with the fresh basil and blitz until smooth (I like mine a little bit chunky). If you’d like to thin it down (i.e. if serving more than 2) then add a little water and blitz again. Be careful as it’ll be very hot. Set aside.
- Whilst the sauce is in the oven, make the meatballs; place the mince, onion, herbs and egg into a mixing bowl. Season and stir until well combined.
- Scoop up a small tbsp of the mixture and roll it into a ball between your palms and set aside on a plate. I like small meatballs and made 24 but you could make larger ones.
- Heat a couple of tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high and once hot, cook the meatballs. This will take about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, they should be golden brown.
- Whilst the meatballs are cooking, cook your pasta as instructed
- Once your pasta is cooked, drain and place back into the saucepan with the sauce, stir over a medium heat until piping hot.
- Serve, topped with meatballs and optional Parmesan.